MotoGP – illness forces Folger to sit out 2018 season

Discussion in 'News' started by Simon, Jan 18, 2018.

  1. Simon

    Simon Professional storyteller
    Staff Member Premium

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2015
    Messages:
    404
    Likes Received:
    3
    Tech 3 Yahama rider Jonas Folger has announced he will be sitting out the 2018 season as he bids to fully recover from Gilbert’s Syndrome – a genetic condition which has left the German flyer bedridden.

    The 24-year-old was forced to miss the final four rounds of the 2017 season but had been expected to make a full recovery. However, the 125cc, Moto3 and Moto2 winner, who still finished a creditable tenth in the championship last time out in what was his rookie season, has decided to focus fully on his recovery and will miss the new season.

    Folger said: “I’m incredibly sad to be saying this, but I will not be racing MotoGP in 2018. I wasn't able to make the improvements I was hoping for, and at this stage I don't feel able to ride a MotoGP machine at 100%.

    "I hope to be back one day and want to thank you all for your ongoing support."

    Folger's absence leaves Tech 3 needing to find a replacement quickly, and Poncharal added the news was ‘hard to swallow’.

    "It is still very difficult for me to believe, that he's not going to race with us in 2018, especially because he has been somebody I had lot of faith in and I was sure we would reach top level together this year," he said.

    "I completely respect his decision, although it's hard to swallow.

    "I will try to find a solution for a replacement rider, which is a very difficult mission, as all of the fast riders are already contracted."
     

Share This Page